Its rare there’s a new story SO big that I’m reminded that political cartoons still exist. My regular news websites like CNN, ABC, NYTimes, rarely show are cartoons, and out-of-sight, out-of-mind, so I can go months without stumbling across a great political or editorial cartoon. Well today, for the first time in a while, I thought “hey I wonder what the cartoonists are writing about this! “. So here’s a site (that I should check more often) which compiles a lot of columnists and cartoonist’s work, CaglePost.com . And here’s a rarity, they have a cartoon-news ticker where they post the last 24 hours of posts from various “professional” cartoonists.
And since that link above will have new content shortly, the image up there is how that page looks today. And even though those are small thumbnails I think you can spot the similarities…
- 5 pics of Michael at the Pearly Gates: Mostly in bad taste about frightened little boys because MJ is showing up. Not funny, and not original. If you drew that, 4 others drew the same thing. Good one, ace.
- 5 moon-walking pics: I don’t really get the association of his death and moon-walking (beyond that being his classic dance), but at least these are drawn well
- 7 or 8 that are just tribute portraits with born/dead dates: Great, thanks (eye-rolling). I think I heard yesterday he was 50, and my math isn’t that bad.
And the big similarity is that none are funny. Which is to be expected because how could they be, really? But its interesting at least to some collective-trying on the same topic because to-be-dead is interesting in itself. So in good spirit, I decided to draw Michael one last time (my last time drawing him was probably 20 years ago in 7th grade) Its not funny, but I think this is the Michael-on-a-Cloud pic I wanted to see and didn’t get in any of the ones above. If there is a heaven, and if Michael is there, this has probably already happened….
And since I rarely draw on paper anymore, here’s some actual inner dialogue I had while doing this…
- Justin’s brain: ” F***!!!, I wish I had an undo button!”
- Justin’s brain moments later: “ah ha, I’m using a pencil. And the erasure is like an undo button”
- Justin’s brain more moments later: “erg, this stupid erasure isn’t undoing near as good as my computer!”