So the second article I’m suggesting you read today, (Yes, more reading!) is over here at ActiveTuts.com regarding The Death of the .Fla !! That’s right Flash developers, our precious .fla format might not be around forever. And phew, I was about to put money down on LongBets.org that it would.
Pros and cons of this epic change:
Pro, if you read the article the implication is indeed awesome. It kinda sounds like the one-world government of file formats, but in the best sense possible. A lot of programs (like AE, Flash, Photoshop) can edit the same file, XFL (which is really a zip of other files). That truly is cool. And X’s are cool.
Con, I really liked the .fla extension. Some programs write to files with weird extensions leftover from what the software was named many iterations ago. But .fla standing for Flash obviously, was perfect. And with ALL the other Flash-branding Adobe is doing (i.e. Flash Catalyst, Flex Builder becoming Flash Builder) leaving around the extension .fla seems to have “synergy” (- Jack Donaghy )
So here’s my list of other file extensions more deserving of a change first…
- Adobe Photoshop ( .psd ) : Sounds and looks like an STD or disease
- Adobe Illustrator ( .ai ) : Too sci-fi. I feel like when I mention this in a tutorial, people only paying half-attention wake up and are like “what about that movie?”
- Adobe After Effects (.aep ): Should have always been .afx . How cool is that. AFX, son.
- Shockwave Flash Movie (.swf ): Worth changing just so developers can stop butting heads over whether to call these “S.W.F files” or “Swiffs”
- Apple XCode ( .xcodeproj ) : WTF Apple? A 9 character file extension?! Really? I think for those of us smart enough to use XCode after just “dot xcode” in a filename we would have figured out this is probably an XCode project.
And here’s my list of already perfect filename extensions
- Quicktime Movie ( .mov) : If there was ever a land-rush to primo abbreviations , Apple totally must have killed some other squatters to get this oceanview extension.
- JPEG Image (.jpg) : Nuff said ( And I didn’t even say anything).
- Plain Text Document (.txt) : This one I should post on LongBets.org , anyone wanna bet in a 1000 years plain text docs still have this extension? Also that plain text documents become self aware and kill all humans.
- Adobe Flash Document (.fla ): Perfect because, oh wait, this is the one they are changing! I forgot.
Well how many people other than Vince McMahon’s accountant still remember the XFL? That Xtreme Football League, er, was it Xtra Fun League? I guess now XFL stands for Xtensible Flash L-Something. Oh I see. The L part is, yeah yeah. Got it.